Monday, December 8, 2008

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but being afraid and choosing to go through it.*

David had a good night and his numbers all continue to look good as well.

Matt and Kathe tagged-teamed being with Dave all night and seem to have had a good night as well.

He continues to come around although he's still under some lasting effects of the medicine, but whoo hoo they are letting him have some clear liquids this morning, and if he does well with them, then he might be able to have a chocolate shake at noon, which he already has on order with his Uncle Buzz :) Any ideas where the tastiest chocolate shake can be found in the Houston medical center??

Dr. Franklin, the chief resident who assists Dr. Chen, met with David this morning and explained that the long, hard surgery didn't go as planned, but David took the news well with great courage! Are we surprised?! Our God is good!

Pray that today can be a strengthening day for David, where he feels his body, spirit and mind getting stronger for the challenges ahead.

Surgery is still targeted for Wednesday, December 10th. This is also David's 16th birthday so stay tuned regarding that!

Oh, and lest I forget the important things...David doesn't want ANY girls shaving their heads. Only Boys Aloud in this club. And to clear the air, Barbara still has beautiful, long, blond hair. Dave was just joking with her :)

We have more pictures and videos of you crazy Shave for Dave members that we will get on here as soon as I learn how to blog.

*Del Tackett

10 comments:

Carol S said...

southwells at the corner of Holcombe and Greenbrier (near Nick's Italian Corner) has FANTASTIC shakes (and burgers for Uncle Buzzz too)! Carol

Anonymous said...

Dearest Bakers! I just this minute found this blog - what a blessing to those of us who are praying, to keep up with all the needs, and victories. We love you, are praying, and long to hear each day of progress, and recovery for our dear David. "For nothing is impossible with God." Luke 1:37
much love, nancy mattingly and family

jfoz said...

We all voted for PRINCE'S HAMBURGERS - BEST IN THAT AREA AND RIGHT ON THE WAY TO MED CENTER on 59 ----
. :) phew - Barbara - glad to hear it :)

love you all -

Janet and Crew

Unknown said...

Bakers...my house is VERY close to the medical center. You may have a key and use it for whatever/whenever you need...a quick shower; a fresh salad out of the frig; a "way station" in between shifts; etc. Just let me know if this would be of any help and I'll get you a key! Love to you all, di

Anonymous said...

Kathe, Matt, Barbara, Austin, David - my prayers are definitely with each of you. It's snowing here in beautiful Lake City right now. May each big flake be a sign of the grace and strength and courage God is bestowing on your family as I write this. Take care of yourselves and may peace be with you - much much love, Leslie Nichols

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave! I’m Sophia’s English teacher. I’m pretty sure I taught your brother’s girlfriend Lauren and her sister when they were in 8th grade, so long ago. Would you give them a big hug from me?

I want you to know I’m praying for you. With God all things are possible. Matt 19:26.

In His hope, Ruth Stubbs

David Gensheimer said...

Hey David Baker,
This is David Gensheimer
I wanna do a VIDEO!!! AHHHHH but I am so new to this whole thing!!! Anyways, Big David (little David in my case haha), I just wanted to say man that I love you, miss you and I am praying for you nonstop, I know that God is going to use you in this time for something great! Think of how amazing of a testimony this will be once you get out! I know this must be a hard time, but we are all here for you!
Oh and I see that you had to shave your head, and then I saw everyone else doing it with you... and I was like WHATTTTT, I WANNA DO THAT!!! hahaha but... I can't do it right now because I nutcracker shows... my boss would fire me!! However, if you are still bald when Dec. 21st rolls around, I will Shave my head in a second!!!
Man I am here for you and I can't wait to see you at christmas time!!

Love you man,
-David

AnniePhil said...

Haven't seen you in awhile but wanted you to know that I'm praying for you, Bakers, all day today (and yesterday and tomorrow and...)

Oh, and Good Company Taqueria on Kirby has a great cinnamon chocolate shake.

-Annie Carpenter Phillips

Unknown said...

Hey Dave, just want to let you know I've been praying for you and the rest of your family, and will continue pray. Your life is a miracle and you are a child of the King. Don't ever forget that. God has you in His hand. I know it is a long, scary road that you are traveling down, but God is with you.

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness or peril or sword?...but in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, not powers, no height, nor depth, nor any other created thing shall be able to separate us from the lof of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord!" (Romans 8:35, 37-39)

Your bro in Christ,
-Steve Nutting

paige.findley said...

David, i wonder how many hundreds of people you've never met are praying for you and being ministered to by your faith in God's goodness? I'm one, and know that i am surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses.

May His wonders never cease to carry you along and amaze those watching from near or far.

Ps 37.4