Monday, December 8, 2008

Allow me to introduce...

Austin Baker, the big brother...

and allow me to allow him to introduce David, aka the miracle and the rest of the Baker fam.

This is Austin's testimony he wrote when he was a college intern at The Austin Stone Community Church (represent!) last year.

I find it so completely apropos at this time.

Here it is:

My Siblings: Barbara, younger sister who is in college in Austin, and David, younger brother who is in high school. My sister is the brains of the family and my brother is the soul. They have been incredible blessings in my life and have shown me time and time again that God will always be bigger than our minds can fathom.

Heroes (other than Jesus): My parents are my heroes, for their passion for Christ and the exaltation of His name and their passion for each other.

Life Story

"Several of the pastors at The Austin Stone Community Church have mentioned that the greatest moments in history have taken place when things have been completely hopeless until God in His sovereignty has intervened. We call these instances, '… but God …' moments. The story of God saving me is an amazing story not because I had a crazy past and then an awesome 'but God' experience, like what happened to Paul on his way to Damascus; but rather my testimony is amazing because my life is full of 'but God' stories and it has taken many of them to get me to where I am today. God’s faithfulness is the only thing that is amazing in my story.

From early on in my life, God began working in crazy ways. Yes, I was born into an amazing Christian family, raised in Houston, grew up in church and several private Christian schools, 'but God,' saw it fit to show me at the age of 6 that He was alive and active in my life. It had been easy for me as a child in my environments to understand that God existed and to believe what the Bible said about Him was true. Initially I was under the impression that it was us believing in the right things that saved us. It had not been easy for me to understand how God was engaged in our lives and that what He desired was a relationship with us. This all began to change when my younger brother was diagnosed as an infant with the worst form of Cerebral Palsy (CP) the doctors in Houston had ever seen. We were told that he was physically incapable of ever being able to communicate or walk.

As we received the news that my brother would never be the same, I knew that my family would also never be the same. Things seemingly began to go downhill fast, 'but God' in His grace, healed my brother after the faithful prayer of the elders from my home church. The healing was so extensive that to this day, the doctors cannot explain how my brother is physically capable of walking and talking (two things he has since that day done way too much of)! The life we have lived with my brother has shown my family that God is intricately involved in the details of our lives and that tragic incidents are not merely events but rather they exist for a purpose and that He is working through the triumphs and tragedies to bring about His glory in our lives.

There some crazy 'but God' stories in my life ranging from financial provision in full-time missions to physical protection during the poisoning of my entire family to the point of death while on mission; to the spiritual salvation of many friends in desperate need of Christ. But as I ponder my life, I cannot get away from the fact that God still pursues me, despite the fact that I constantly turn from Him and try to run. To me the greatest 'but God' thing in my life is that He is still God and He continues to pursue me. He has used trials and tragedy in my life to shake me from complacency, He has used relationships in my life to teach me truth, and He has used desperate situations, to battle over the affections and desires of my heart."
-Austin Baker '07

6 comments:

Kirk Olson said...

We are all praying for the Baker family.
Love yall much
Kirk

Anonymous said...

Austin:
I am sure God smiles each time someone reads this testimony...I know I did. Each of you Baker kids are amazing and demonstrate the evidence of a godly heritage from both the Baker and Green sides of the families. I know each of you kids know you are incredibly blessed with awesome parents and grandparents.
All are much loved by so many...
Elizabeth Hickman

Marsha said...

Hey David,

Just wanted to let you know we are thinking of you...always. Adam spent the weekend at a friends while we were out of town. The first thing he said to us when we picked him up was, "How is David?" I don't even think he said hello first! Claudia and I listened to your music today on Bakerbeatz. Man, you ROCK!
Love and prayers,
Aunt Marsha

Marsha said...

Austin,
What a blessing you are to your family. Your testimony is like a window to your heart. Glad I got to peek in!
Love,
Aunt Marsha

Unknown said...

Matt and Kathe, you have some exceptional children! This testimony just brought tears to my eyes. You've done well with the gifts God gave you! Trusting in Him, Catherine Henderson

Anonymous said...

Insha'allah (Gods well) you will get the strength dear David to fight this ... Our prayers with you ...

Lulwa Mrs Wael Al-Jasem - Kuwait